Non-Haz descaling acid (no heat required)
eazy FreeScale our most powerful non-hazardous descaling acid that is as effective as hydrochloric acid in removing mineral scale.
eazy FreeScale is a fast acting revolutionary liquid descaling product ideally suited for cleaning the surfaces where a build up of scale occurs such as heat exchangers, boilers, evaporators, coolers and condensers.
It is also used for the effective removal of cement deposits where the use of hazardous chemicals such as Hydrochloric Acid is not desired nor permitted.
Features & Benefits
- Easy to Handle – Not classified for transport
- Strong Organic Acid – Faster at dissolving calcium carbonate when compared to Hydrochloric Acid
- Readily Biodegradable “Green Acid” – Low Toxicity LD50 of 1000mg/kg
- Odour Free – No Toxic Fumes
- Non Oxidising – Less Corrosive than Phosphoric and Hydrochloric Acid at same molar concentration
- Resistant to Hydrolysis – When diluted does not react to form a different solution
- High Solubility – Does not form insoluble deposits elsewhere in the system
- Virtually free of Metal Ions and Sulfates – No unwanted side reactions
- Free of Chlorine – Will not release chlorine vapour as with Hydrochloric Acid
- Lower order of hazard removal of cement and lime residues – Compared to using Hydrochloric Acid
System must be free from oil, grease and organic matter prior to cleaning. If unsure contact Eazychem for further advice.
A solution of 10% of product, preferably in de-ionised water, should be circulated through the system to achieve a pH of 1 – 2.5. Whilst it is not necessary to heat the cleaning solution (unlike other acids), by raising the temperature up to 60°C the dissolution of scale will increase. This is only required where unforeseen severe scaling is present and/or insufficient product is available.
The degree and type of the deposits will determine the time required for the descaling programme but generally any scale present will be removed within 4-8 hours. Do not keep the solution in the equipment to be cleaner for more than 24 hours. Depending on the amount of other contaminants in the system the post cleaning waste solution will be clearer when compared to using other acids.
In the case of severe scaling the process may need be repeated several times depending on the pH readings.
After cleaning, the system must be completely emptied and then refilled with fresh water to purge it of all gases before opening the steam drum door. It is then recommended that a 1-2% solution of eazy Neutralise be circulated for 2 hours to ensure metal surfaces and any remaining acid are neutralised and to minimise further corrosion.
If passivation or lay up follows immediately after cleaning contact Eazychem for further advice.
Prior to carrying out any cleaning programme, sacrificial anodes (if present) should be removed and the system sufficiently vented to atmosphere at all times. All ventilation arrangements must be unobstructed throughout the entire cleaning process.
As Carbon Dioxide and/or Hydrogen gas will be produced it is recommended that boiler ventilation terminals are tested for their presence which is extremely hazardous in confined spaces.
Health and Safety
Please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet and Product Label for specific information.
Limitation of Liability
Eazychem’s standard terms and conditions of sale, available on request, apply and contain limitations on any liability that may be incurred by Eazychem arising in any way from the sale and use of products supplied by Eazychem.